Effective June 1, 2021 the general minimum wage will increase to $15.20 an hour. Minimum wage applies regardless of how employees are paid – hourly, salary, commission or on an incentive basis.
The following industry-specific wage increases also take effect June 1, 2021:
- Liquor server minimum wage is now set at the general minimum wage level, $15.20.
- Resident caretaker minimum wage per month is now:
- $912.28 plus $35.56 for each suite for an apartment building containing 9 to 60 units; and
- $3,107.42 for an apartment building containing 61 or more units.
- Live in camp leader minimum wage per day is now $121.65.
This is the final of four planned increases introduced by the New Democratic Party whom campaigned on a promise of increasing the minimum wage in British Columbia to $15 an hour by 2021.
If you have any questions about this topic, or have any questions relating to workplace law generally, please do not hesitate to contact a Mathews Dinsdale lawyer.