OHS law in Canada continues to evolve in significant and meaningful ways, some of which may be helpful to corporations, supervisors, management and directors and officers, while others could lead to significantly increased risk. Join us for a complimentary annual national update on the most significant developments and management strategies, featuring experienced and specialized OHS practitioners from Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta.
Again this year the webinar will be presented as a panel discussion and participation will only be available by webinar. As well, the panelists will incorporate health and safety-related questions provided in advance.
Topics discussed during the update will include:
- A pound of preparation and 30 grams of cure – the ongoing impact of recreational marijuana legalization in Canadian workplaces
- Legislative whiplash? Bill 177 (Ontario) and Bill 30 (Alberta)
- Safety First! Recent developments in prosecutions of OHS offences and the first manslaughter conviction ( v. Fournier)
- Importance of Particulars in Alberta ( v. Precision Diversified Oilfield Services Corp.)
- Protected no more? The developing law on corporate officer/director liability ( v. 1137749 Ontario Ltd. – operating as Pro-Teck Electric)….
- Worksite Ownership & Potential Liability as an ‘Employer’ (West Fraser Mills Ltd. v. British Columbia, Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal)
- Dire Straits and Money for Nothing – Administrative Monetary Penalties and the CLC
- Other Significant OHS Amendments, Trends, Changes and Cases
We look forward to your participation in our annual update. Those who want to submit questions in advance will have the opportunity to do so on the registration form or by emailing them to email@example.com before November 15, 2018. All submitted questions will be reviewed by the panel. Questions answered during the update will be selected on the basis of the timeliness of the issue(s) raised and the amount of time available to answer all questions posed to the panel. Others will be answered in the follow-up written summary that will be posted on our website in December – so continue to stay tuned!