This 90 minute webinar will focus on recent reforms to Federal Labour Law and the fall-out from the recent Federal election. Mathews Dinsdale’s presenters will be joined by Derrick Hynes, President and CEO of Federally Regulated Employers – Transportation and Communications (FETCO).
The topics of focus include the following:
Federal Pay Equity Act Update
- Are all federally regulated employers included?
- A quick overview of the Act
- The implementation schedule
- Notable process issues for employers
Occupational Health & Safety Update
- Mandatory vaccination policies and practices for federally regulated businesses – what to expect next
- Enforcement of OHS requirements in the federal sector by AMP (administrative monetary penalty)
- Developments in workplace harassment and workplace violence
Human Rights Update
- Review of key human rights decisions in the federal sector
- Implications of the recently announced review of the Employment Equity Act
- COVID-19 and the duty to accommodate
Recent Changes to the Canada Labour Code
- Changes to the minimum wage
- An overview of the changes to various leaves of absence
- Timing on implementation and when these changes become effective
Unjust Dismissal and the New Role of the Canadian Industrial Relations Board (CIRB)
- What has changed?
- The rationale for granting the CIRB jurisdiction over unjust dismissal
- The early CIRB decisions – what can we learn?
- Practical consequences and takeaways for employers
Implications of the Federal Election
- Is a ban or partial ban on replacement workers during a labour dispute in the cards?
- Paid sick days for everyone?
- Legislating a “right to disconnect” outside regular work hours.
You may subscribe to our Federal Sector mailing list here.